|| Tamil: Pulee, Puli
2. Parts used:
3. Properties and Action According to Indigenous
- Rasa: Sour, sweet and mild astringent.
- Vipaka: Amla.
- Veerya: Ushna.
- It is well known souring agent in the form of paste or
juice. Widely used in curries and chutneys.
- Paste of the leaf cures swellings.
- Balances Vata and Kapha doshas.
- Tamarind is considered a mild laxative and digestive.
- It is used to treat bronchial disorders and gargling with
tamarind water is recommended for a sore throat.
- It is antiseptic, used in eye-baths and for the treatment
- Being highly acidic, it is a refrigerant (cooling in the
heat) and febrifuge (for fighting fevers).
- The Ananga Ranga suggests consuming tamarind for enhancing
a woman’s sexual enjoyment.
5. Names due to Physical properties:
6. Names due to Medical properties:
- Vatahari: Balances Vata dosha.
Vasthu guna deepika, Vasthu guna prakashika, Chakradatta,
Susrutam, Basabarajeezam, Bhavaprakashika, Vangacena, Charakasamhita,
Vagvatamu, Hareetasamhita, Srijanakalpavalli.
If you think that any information given on this page is not complete, please
do not hesitate to let us know. If you are from the press or a practitioner
or scientist - or if you just need more information or a high resolution photo,
you are more than welcome to write us an email