||Blowball, cankerwort, lion's tooth,
priest's crown, puffball, swine snout, white endive, wild
endive, dandelion, Diente de leon, Pu gong ying
2. Parts used:
Alkaloids: The chief constituents of Dandelion
root are Taraxacin, acrystalline Vitamins A and C moderate
amounts of vitamin D, vitamin C, various B vitamins, iron,
silicon, magnesium, zinc, and manganese. The leaves are a
rich source of potassiums.
3. Properties and Action According to Indigenous
- Rasa: Bitter.
- Vipaka: Bitter.
- Good remedy for kidney and liver disorders.
- Stimulates digestion.
- It is a mild laxative, hepatic, aperient, diuretic, depurative,
tonic and stomachic by nature.
- Balances and bile production in the gallbladder and bile
flow from the liver.
- Supports liver function which is disturbed due to over
alcoholism or poor diet.
- It is blood purifier.
- Induces metabolism in the body.
- Good blood purifier hence also helps in the cases of
eczema and cancer.
- It relives constipation.
- Enhances the formation of bile.
- It removes excess water from body.
- Removes toxins and poisons from the body.
- It acts a good remedy for Jaundice because it increases
the flow of urine in patients with liver problems.
- It also cures skin diseases, scurvy, scrofula, and eczema.
- Useful in all kinds of kidney troubles, diabetes, dropsy,
inflammation of the bowels.
- Good remedy for fever.
- It induces production of mother's milk.
5. Names due to Physical properties:
- Simhadanti: The leaves like teeth of lion.
- Kanaka pushpi: Plant with yellow colored flowers.
- Ksheera dari:The plant with milky sap.
6. Names due to Medical properties:
- Vishamardhini: Detoxificant.
Vasthu guna deepika, Vasthu guna prakashika, Chakradatta,
Susrutam, Basabarajeezam, Bhavaprakashika, Vangacena, Charakasamhita,
Vagvatamu, Hareetasamhita, Srijanakalpavalli.
The milky sap of fresh Dandelion may cause allergy in some
persons. The person, who has obstruction in bile ducts [like
gallstones] has to take the Dandelion very carefully.