||Jirna, Magadha, Jirana
|| Jeera, jeraka, jira, zeera, zira,
sufaid..., safed...(white), kala...(black), kalonji (cf
Nigella), cheeregum, Jiru ,Jirakam , Jiregire
2. Parts used:
3. Properties and Action According to Indigenous
- Rasa: Spicy.
- Vipaka: Spicy.
- Veerya: Ushna veerya.
- Cumin is used mainly in spicy dishes.
- It is main content of spicy powders.
- In many savoury spice mixtures.
- It is widely used in soups in powder form.
- Cumin is stomachic, diuretic, carminative, stimulant,
astringent, carminative, emmenagogic and antispasmodic in
- It is a good remedy for dyspepsia diarrhoea and hoarseness.
- It relieves flatulence and colic, nausea in pregnancy.
- It is widely used in veterinary medicine.
- It relieves the pains swelling of the breast or the testicles.
- It stops hiccups.
- It stimulates the appetite.
5. Names due to Physical properties:
6. Names due to Medical properties:
Vasthu guna deepika, Vasthu guna prakashika, Chakradatta,
Susrutam, Basabarajeezam, Bhavaprakashika, Vangacena, Charakasamhita,
Vagvatamu, Hareetasamhita, Srijanakalpavalli.
If you think that any information given on this page is not complete, please
do not hesitate to let us know. If you are from the press or a practitioner
or scientist - or if you just need more information or a high resolution photo,
you are more than welcome to write us an email